Friday, May 11, 2012

Upgrading to CentOS 6.2

Life have been pretty stable with CentOS 5.2 for last couple of years. But experiment to modify some lvm logical volumes ended up corrupting my file system under /usr/local. Since many binary and lib files are stored under this, I thought to fix this fresh OS installation would be the easiest option. I'm not sure if there was any other way around to restore /usr/local.

Thinking of fresh installation, I thought it's also good time I upgrade to a newer version. Since my /home is mounted as a different file system, I thought it'll be fairly easy to install CentOS 6.2. It was actually. Many quirky things which I had to do for 5.2 seemed to work out of the box. But as it happens, fresh installation always comes with its own issues. Few things I noticed:

  • My eclipse started crashing soon after I started using CentOS 6.2. Some looking around in the web pointed me to the potential incompatibility between eclipse and Xulrunner 2 which came with CentOS 6.2. Removing Xulrunner 2 did the trick.
  • I could install FF 12, Google Chrome, Opera without any fuss. 
  • I was pleasantly surprised to find Network Manager automatically creating the DSL connection provided by BSNL. But then the difficulty started. Internet was working. But I found many websites mostly those which uses a CDN service were not loading in browsers. I tried FF, Chrome and Opera. All were having similar behavior. Digging deep in the Internet didn't help much. Finally I thought let me try removing Network Manager and creating the connection using traditional network service. I installed rp-pppoe to create the pppoe connection manually. That happened to be the eureka moment. Now all websites seem to be loading smoothly in all the browsers.

No comments: